Friday, October 11, 2013

You pay how much for pasta sauce?!

Who do they think they are charging that much for pasta sauce?!  I must be out of touch.  I make my own from scratch usually, but the other day I was in a huge hurry and I just didn't want to expend the time/energy to make it homemade.  Plus, I was already at the store and the pasta isle was only 2 isles down. So, I zipped down to where they keep it and searched for a good brand.

 They want $3.50 for a jar of pasta sauce.  Ridiculous! Preposterous!  I can make it at home for much cheaper.  But, by this time of night, I just didn't have time, so I bought the jarred pasta sauce and went on my way.  Did it taste good?  Yeah, but I make better for sure.

I use this recipe for not just pasta.  I use it on pizzas, for dipping bread, and as weird as it sounds, dipping pretzles for an afternoon snack (seriously should try this, it's amazing)  So, here is my recipe, it only takes a few minutes of prep and 45 minutes on the stove to cook up.

Marinara sauce

1tbs Olive Oil
1c Onion, chopped
1tsp garlic, minced
1 can (28 oz) Crushed Tomatoes
1tsp dried oregano
1tsp dried basil
1tbs sugar(yes, you really need it)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large skillet and add onion and about 1 tsp of salt and the same of pepper.  Cook on med high heat for about 5 minutes, or until the onion starts to soften.  Add in garlic, oregano, and basil.  Cook for 1 minute more and then add in tomatoes and sugar.  Stir for a few minutes and then reduce heat to med-low and simmer on the stove for 35-40 minutes.  If sauce gets too thick, add a tablespoon of water to thin out.  You can use chicken broth for an additional .003 per tablespoon.  Serve over pasta noodles, dip cheesy bread or foccocia, or serve on top of a pizza.

This recipe cost me $1.73 in ingredients to make and it serves a family of 6!  This recipe also freezes well if you have leftovers or if your family is smaller than mine is.  If you are meat lovers, just brown up your meat of choice and add.  It will only cost you a few dollars more and makes the sauce a hardy one for cold winter nights. Enjoy, you will never look at canned marinara sauce the same again. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment