Thursday, October 10, 2013

Amish White Bread

Those that know me will laugh.  Years ago, I didn't like bread.  I didn't eat it unless we were at a restaurant or it was some holiday.  My first pregnancy changed that.  I couldn't get enough bread.  The second pregnancy made it worse.  So, I have stopped fighting and given in to bread.  I love it.  For a couple years now I have been trying to find the perfect bread recipe.  I have made a billion loafs only to throw them all out.  They are too hard, too salty, not enough salt, too sweet or not sweet enough.  I have tried wheat flour, half wheat and half white.  With milk, without milk.  The same with eggs.  The other day I was frustrated with a failed loaf of Ciabatta bread that took me two days to make, TWO DAYS!  I thought store bought was the way to go, but then I stumbled on this recipe from Pinterest and thought I would try it out, just for old time sake.  What resulted was the BEST bread recipe in the entire world.  It was perfect, from the crust to the inside, soft and firm and just perfect.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it.  This recipe comes from the site www.hiswillmypeace.com  Thank you for posting this, my bread making skills have improved dramatically because of you!

I do have a note to make though.  Most people think the water needs to be luke warm.  Not so, I used water that was hot to the touch.  I also placed bread dough in the oven after it had been preheated to 170 degrees and then shut off.  Both these tips help the dough to rise much quicker.

This recipe cost just over .75 to make and produces 2 loafs of bread!  Because it is not commercially made, I would store this in the fridge so it will last longer.

Amish White Bread

  • 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 6 cups bread flour or all-purpose white flour


  • 1-In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
  • 2-Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
  • 3-Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
  • 4-Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment