Thursday, October 10, 2013

The not so blah Thursday dinner

Lets face it, by Thursday night, all I want to do is make pb&j's for dinner, open a bag of chips and let my kids fend for themselves while I take a nice long soak in the tub with a good book and a box of chocolates.  I know I can't be the only one out there that feels this way.  My easy fix for not wanting to make dinner?  My crock pot.  Seriously, this thing is amazing.  You can make soups, main dishes, salads and even dessert in this thing.  I've had mine for nearly 6 years and I want to kiss the person who gave it to me for a wedding gift. 

So, today is the day I break this puppy out and make a nice slow cooked dish.  Yesterday I hit my local grocery store and made out like a bandit.  I bought Boneless pork ribs for $6.00!  They usually go for $8-9.00 a package, but the butcher had put a managers special sticker on two packages that reduced one to  $2.00 and the other to$4.00.  There is enough meat in these packages for my family dinner and lunch for the hubs the next day.  Tonight we are going to be eating slow cooked BBQ pork ribs, Cheesy potatoes, and homemade rolls.  This is my favorite meal.  Period.  It is simple to make and super easy to prepare.  The crock pot and oven do most of the work, I just have to prep a few things.

Here is the recipe for my BBQ Pork Ribs and I will post another for the potatoes and then one for the rolls.

Crock Pot BBQ Pork Ribs

8 Boneless pork ribs (you can use bone in too)
2Tbs Smoked Paparika
2Tbs Steak Seasoning
1Tbs Salt
3c BBQ sauce divided
1 1/2c Water
4Tbs Oil, divided
1/2 Onion, finely diced

Season both sides of the ribs with paparika, steak seasoning and salt.  Heat 2 Tbs of oil in a pan and brown 4 ribs at a time, discard oil and use remaining oil to brown remainder of meat.  While browning, mix water, onion and BBQ sauce in crock pot.  Place browned meat in crock pot and turn to coat in BBQ sauce.

Turn crock pot on low and cook for 8-12 hours or until meat falls apart when you pick it up.  Half an hour before finished, add remaining 2 C of BBQ sauce.  During cooking time, check the dish to make sure it is not drying out.  If it is, add a little water or more BBQ sauce. 
Serve with whatever side dishes sound good to you.  We do Cheesy potatoes and a nice green salad.

This recipe serves 6 people with leftovers for the next day.  It costs me just  $7.09 for my main dish.  I hope you try it. love it, and use it on those days that you just don't want to cook.



0 comments:

Post a Comment