Thursday, October 17, 2013

Cheesecake

I find it funny how each pregnancy is different.  With my first child, carbs were the thing.  They seemed to give me the pick up I needed, so bread became my favorite to eat.  With my second baby, I craved Sugar.  Holy, but did I crave sugar.  Pretty much any way I could get it, I would eat it, except straight out of the bag, I couldn't bring myself to do that.

Here is my favorite cheesecake recipe from that time.  It takes a bit of work, and boy, does it take patience (something I was incredibly short on those 8 months) but it is so worth it.  Creamy, luscious cheesecake.  Oh great, now I am wanting some, what's a girl to do?

Eggnog Cheesecake

Crust:

1/3c Butter at room temp
1c Flour
1/3c Brown sugar, firmly packed.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, butter 8" spring form pan and set aside. Boil several cups of water and keep hot until you are ready to bake entire cheesecake.  In a mixing bowl combine sugar and butter and mix well for 1 minute.  Scrape sides down and mix for 1 more minute.  Add flour and mix for another minute.   Press into the bottom of pan and set aside.  Do not pre-bake.

Filling:

4 (8oz) Cream cheese
1 1/2c Sugar
3/4c Egg Nogg, you can substitute milk if you are against this:)
4 Eggs
1c Sour cream
1tbs Vanilla
1/4c Flour

Mix cream cheese and sugar on med speed for 5 minutes.  During that time, scrape bottom and sides a few times.
Add in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg.
Scrape bottom and sides of bowl and then add in sour cream and vanilla.  Mix well and make sure there are no lumps.
Add egg nogg (or milk) and combine well.
Last step is to add the flour and mix.

If you are worried about lumps, you can run ingredients through a fine mesh sieve.
Pour this luscious batter into prepared crust.  Remember that water you boiled and are keeping hot?  Put that whole pan (as long as it is oven safe) into the oven on a lower rack.  Make sure there is plenty of water in there(this will help the cake to remain crack free and keep it moist)  and bake the cheesecake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.  Then, turn the oven off and let completely cool for 5-6 hours.  This will help it not crack.  Chill in the fridge.

It is important that all of the ingredients are at room temperature.  This ensures that the batter is smooth and no lumps will show up in your cake.  Take out all the ingredients at least an hour before you plan on using them.  2 is even better.

This easy cheesecake serves 12 big slices and only cost me $10.22 to make, that's just a little over .85 a slice. Store bought is over $15.00 and mine tastes better.  That's just a little over .85 a slice.  You can also add other flavors like pumpkin (yum) or cherry or strawberry or chocolate.  The list goes on!


0 comments:

Post a Comment