Wednesday, October 16, 2013

I broke down

Ok, I'll admit it.  Yesterday was a bad day.  I wasn't feeling all that well.  I was tired and grumpy and cold and miserable and pretty much everything else a person can be while having a bad day.  I didn't feel like making dinner.  So, 25 minutes before the hubs got home from work I called the local Chinese place.  I spent $50 bucks on food that I know I could have made for 75% cheaper.  The really stinky thing about this situation other than the fact that I spent that much money on dinner is that it didn't taste good.  At all.  For a Chinese place, they had really bad food. 

Lesson learned.  Now back to my goal of no eating out.  Today is bound to be a better day for me and for the food we eat. 

It's Wednesday and this is my craziest day.  No seriously, it's crazy.  I worked while managing to make sure my youngest two didn't kill each other, themselves or destroy my office.  I have to pick up the oldest boy from school to take him to a standing, weekly doctors appointment.  Then I get to wrangle the younger ones to pick up the oldest daughter at school after the skating bus drops her off. The hubs has school and won't get home until just before I need to take my oldest daughter to achievement days, and then run back and grab the oldest boy and take him to scouts.  Then I get to swing back by where my daughter is at and pick her up.  Then I will get home and host the scout committee meeting of which I am the Chairperson AND assistant Cub Master. 

Sheesh, just typing it all out makes me want to cry. Somewhere in there I need to squeeze in a shower, laundry, kid time-for the kids, not me;) and dinner.  How on earth am I going to manage all this in one small day?  I need an extra pair of hands, 10 more hours in a day, and a housekeeper.  I'm not asking for much, but my fairy godmother seems to be on a vacation. 

Some of these things are going to have to go, but dinner is not one of them.  I have my trusty crock pot.  I love the thing.  When it breaks, I just might shed a few tears.  Tonight we are having shredded chicken tacos.  I am going to make the meat in the crock pot and the other things pretty much come out of a can, jar or bag. 

Here is my recipe for shredded Mexican Chicken  You can also make this with beef or pork.  Any of those meats will taste amazing.

Shredded Mexican Chicken

2 Chicken breasts, bone in
2 Chicken thighs, bone in
2 Pkgs, Taco Seasoning
1tsp Garlic, minced
1tsp Pepper
1tsp Salt
1/2c Water
1 can (8oz) tomatoes
2tsp Chicken bullion 
1 Onion, sliced thinly
1 Green Pepper, sliced thinly

Coat chicken pieces in salt and pepper. 

Place in crock pot and cover with taco seasonings

Pour in water, bullion and can of tomatoes.  Stir and put lid on.

Cook on low for 5 hours

Add onion and green pepper and cook another 3 hours on low.  If you need more water, add a tablespoon at a time.

When finished, the meat should fall off the bone.  Shred into small pieces and discard the bones.

Serve these on Tortillas, or over rice. Very yummy!

This recipe will make fill over 20 tacos or more, depending on how much meat you use and the size of your tortillas, so it really makes a ton.  It costs just $5.43, that's just .27 per serving

0 comments:

Post a Comment