Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Sweet Rice pudding

*Happy Dance*
We had extra Coconut rice leftover from dinner tonight!  For the most part, we don't keep leftover rice.  Lets all be honest here, we say we are going to eat the extra rice we make the next day, but 3 weeks later when we are cleaning out the fridge, we find a big bowl of what used to be white rice that has a nice green film over it.  Not a pretty site or good eats.  I am slowly coming up with recipes to use all types of leftover rice and this is one of the recipes.  Rice pudding.  Is there anything better?  I don't think so, well, maybe chocolate.  Hmmm....maybe I will try to come up with a chocolate version later.  Anyway, on a cold winters night or cool summer day it doesn't really matter.  It's always yummy.

I've tried a million different recipes and failed a million different times.  It's either too thin, or too thick.  Not sweet enough, or too sweet.  Sometimes it's got curdled egg in it or I leave the egg out completely and it tastes like it's missing something.  I finally got creative and made a recipe myself and I must admit, it's pretty darn perfect and so simple to make and very inexpensive.  Cold or hot, I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!

Rice Pudding

1 1/2c Cooked White Rice
5c Milk, divided
1c Sugar
1 Egg, beaten
2 tsp Vanilla

Place cooked rice, 4 cups of milk and sugar in a sauce pan.  Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 25 minutes until thick.  Stir in beaten egg and cook for 1 additional minute.  Take pan off heat and add remaining cup of milk and vanilla.  Pour into a bowl and place plastic wrap directly on top of pudding so it won't form a skin.  Chill completely or eat it warm, it tastes great either way!

Now, because I had leftover rice from dinner, this pudding only cost me $0.96 for 6 servings!  Holy cheap batman!  If you were making it from scratch, it would be another .30!

0 comments:

Post a Comment