Thursday, October 10, 2013

Breakfast with my kiddos

Nothing is better than being a mommy, not even chocolate.  I love every second I get to spend with my children.  They bring such joy to my life and I cherish every look and every word that comes out of their little mouths.  Today I am at home with my two youngest.  On these days I get to make homemade breakfast instead of the usual bowl of cereal or rushed cold pop tarts on my way to work. Since I am at home with my two youngest, whose bellies are very small, I decided to make pancakes.  This happens to be my daughters favorite thing.  She just calls them "cakes" and thinks it's a special treat.  In my opinion, these are so much better than store-bought, frozen pancakes and some of the restaurant recipes as well.  So, here it is, I hope you and your kiddos enjoy them as much as my family does.

Basic Pancakes

2c Flour
4tbs Sugar
2tbs Milk
1 Egg
1tsp salt
1/2c Instant oats
2tbs Baking Powder
1 1/2c Water
4 sprays of Pam


Mix all ingredients together and let sit in bowl for 5 minutes.  This will allow the oats to soften a bit.  Preheat skillet on Med high heat. 
Using a 1/4c measuring cup, dispense pancake batter and cook until golden on both sides, about 1 minute per side.  Adjust heat as needed.  This will make 15 good sized pancakes.  I serve mine with butter, syrup and a little powdered sugar.



Mine cost a total of $1.33 to make including all the toppings, but if you are a plane Jane kinda person, the total is $1.05!  That's .07 per cake!  Eat that, Store-bought frozen pancakes! Not to mention the amount of money you save from taking your family out to the local pancake house! 
If you have young kids, you can add 1 banana and 4tbs of chocolate chips for another .45!  Or you can add blueberries and vanilla for around .75!  If you prefer waffles, add 1tbs of oil and 1 additional egg.  Only adds around .25 to do this.  So many variations to go off this simple pancake batter!

Also, on days when I am home and I don't feel like making up a fresh batch of pancakes or even waffles, I just make a double batch and freeze what we don't eat.  This is nice because all you have to do is pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds or so and there you have yummy pancakes! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment