Friday, October 25, 2013

Homemade Vanilla

I love vanilla.  The flavor, the smell.  Makes me a happy happy girl.

The other day I was almost out so I went to the store to pick some up.  I push my cart down the isle and reach for the vanilla and Bam!  The price hit me square between the eyes.  The store priced it at $10.00 of a tiny bottle of Vanilla.  Yeah, right.  I picked up the cheap bottle for .99, much better deal even if it really isn't vanilla.  Then and there I decided that I would make my own vanilla.  It couldn't be that hard.


            This is a before and almost after shot.  Vanilla is only 4 weeks along.

That week I ordered a basket from Bountiful Baskets.  If you haven't checked them out, do.   www.bountifulbaskets.org   Amazing.  Anyway, I ordered their tropical basket for $14.00 and when I opened the box, low and behold, 2 beautiful Madagascar Vanilla Beans.  I took it as a sign that I needed to make my own vanilla.

It isn't hard.  Just 2 items in homemade vanilla.  It does take a bit of time to develop the flavor, but it is so worth it.  Hard thing to do is not drink it straight, and I don't drink period.  It smells that good!

Vanilla

3 Vanilla Beans, cut and seeded
1 (375ml) Bottle of Vodka

Slice Vanilla bean down the center.

Run the back of your knife down each side and harvest the vanilla beans.

Place scraped vanilla beans and both stalks in the vodka.  Shake.

Place in a dark cupboard for 6 weeks.  Shake every once in a while.

If you want a darker color, use another bean.

This recipe will cost you around $11.00, depending on how much you spend on the vanilla bean and Vodka.  Buy the cheap kind, you aren't going to be drinking it.

*As you use Vanilla, replace what you lost with a little more vodka.  This way you never run out.
*This is hard Liquor.  I wouldn't suggest eating anything raw if you use this.
*PLEASE keep out of reach of little ones, this can make them very sick and or  kill them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment