Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Saving pennies any way I can

 With this economy, every penny counts, unless you are a billionaire, and then I am pretty sure you have it made.  I am not a billionaire and probably never will be, so I have been trying to figure out ways to save our household some money.  I've made my own laundry detergent, we rarely go out to movies, and I have started dabbling in sewing.  In looking at my banking register, I realize that we eat out waaaay too much.  I am spending anywhere between $175-$225 per month (for a family of 6) on going out to dinner, or pizza delivery, or lets be real, the local hamburger joint for lunch.  Not only is this expensive, but it is really bad for my girlish figure:)  So, in trying to save a few bucks here and there, I made a goal to not eat out for 1 week.  No big deal right?  Wrong!  It's been hard.  When I get off of work at 11 and my kids are STARVING, it's easier to go to a taco shop then it is to make said tacos.  But I was strong.  I survived a week of making 3 meals a day, 7 days for 6 people.  Was it easy?  No.  Am I a great cook?  That depends on who you ask.  Did I save money?  Heck yes!

Because I survived one week of home cooking, I have made myself a goal of doing this for 1 month.   I survived that, and so that got me really thinking.  I could do this everyday and save hundreds a year.  That is awesome.  Does this mean I am going to completely stop eating out?  No, the hubs and I have a tradition to eat at the best restaurant in town for our anniversary and I just can't give it up.  This just means that during my crazy day, I can't take the easy way out and call the local pizza delivery and call it good.  Besides, I think my pizza crust tastes better.  And because of all my smart ideas, I decided I might as well write all my recipes down and maybe I will share them with other people who are trying to save a couple bucks and cook new and interesting things.  So here I am, recording for posterity  the good, bad, and the burned meals I make.  So, here comes my first post on how I saved my family a pretty penny. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment