Saturday, October 12, 2013

Basic Pantry Items

The other day I was straightening up my pantry.  It's huge and gets messy with 4 people going in and out of it all day long, gathering the things we need for dinner.  I thought to myself, I should post something about basic pantry items that I keep on hand.

I keep a little of everything just in case I don't feel like going to the store, or I have a sick kid with me or a freak snow storm.  In any of these cases I can make a nice homemade meal that my family will enjoy eating.

So, here are my basic pantry items.

Dried beans of every kind
Canned beans
Canned tomatoes
Peanut butter
Jarred Jam-I can this myself as well
Coconut flakes
Boxed meals
Spaghetti-o's
Ravioli
Bags of chips
Cookies
Canned soup
Canned meat-I can my own, so this is just jarred chicken.
Canned veggetables
Canned  fruits-I have a mix of home canned and store bought
Applesauce
Tomato sauce
Tomato paste
Pasta sauce
Pasta in every shape
Mustard
Canned salsa
Ketchup
Mayonnaise
Salad Dressings
Steak sauce
Soy sauce
Hoysin sauce
Flour
Sugar
Powdered Sugar
Brown Sugar
Baking Powder
Baking Soda
Cinnamon
Salt
Seasonings
Soup mixes
Taco and Fajita seasoning
Canned olives
Soda
Drinking water
Bottled apple juice
Potatoes
Onions
Hard Squashes
Rice
Oil
Syrup
Mac and cheese-a staple at my place with 4 kids who think it is Manna
Noodle soups
Cake and cookie mixes
Tubs of frosting
Brownie Mixes
Cereal
Karo syrup

Dried milk

Crackers

I am sure I have missed a few items, but you get my point.  I can make a number of meals with the basics from my pantry alone.

I also have a few non-edible items that I keep in my pantry like:

Laundry soap
Cleaning supplies
Bleach
Paper towel
Toilet and tissue paper
Air freshners
Hygiene needs of all kinds
Soap
Shampoo and conditioner
Razors and shaving cream

I also keep several things in my freezer

Hamburger
Chicken
Diced onion
Diced green bell peppers
Mushrooms
Butter
Milk-yes, it does freeze and I do it all the time.  Super easy too!
Tortillas
Yeast
Cheese-this freezes great as well.
Berries/fruits
Nuts
Pie/pastry crusts
Deli meats
Bread dough
Homemade mozzarella sticks
Spinach
Frozen Veggies
Cookie dough, homemade of course.
Bread
Muffins
Pancakes/french toast

In my fridge I keep:

Soy sauce
Salad dressings
Mayonnaise
Ketchup
Hot sauce
Eggs
Butter
Jams
Mustards
Fresh veggies/fruits
Sour cream
Cream cheese
Browned butter
Yogurt



I try to keep a few of each on hand, you never know when something is going to happen that prevents you from going to the store.  I hope this helps you get started on basic pantry items.


0 comments:

Post a Comment